twisted-yarns

"a rose is a rose is a rose" check out some yarn for a change - its never the same.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Dinner Party, Open house, Reception & Bed

Dinner at 7p with Ron and Suzannah. The company was great, wine great, appetizers delicious and meal lovely. But the road to the evening was a bit woe fraught. To accomodate vegetarians in our group thought I would make a spinach lasagna... (You probably guessed it already). On my way home from the grocery store with my fresh bag of spinach, I caught the evening news and the story about ecoli in fresh "bagged spinach". A quick stop at Meijer and problem solved with "frozen spinach".
For desert: creme brulee. Using Nigela Lawson's book, How to be a Domestic Goddess, 8 egg yokes, 2 1/2 c. of heavy creme and a wee bit of sugar, I made a huge curdled mess. A trip to Trader Joe's for cheesecake - Key Lime and another problem was solved.
Saturday's wedding reception offered it own set of obsticles. For one, the gift - a brass door knocker with the couples last name and the year engraved on ithad a large black nick on its face. The young clerk asked, "Will that be a problem?" We look through "Things Remembered's" stock and found only one that was acceptable. I picked up the door knocker a couple of hours before the party and raced to Target for gift wrap and back home to get dress.
The directions instructed us to, "look for a VFW with a large red, white and blue missile" out front. There it was. I had worn a dress and heels for a party where the bride and groom wore t-shirts and jeans. Drinks? Beer, light beer or soda. The buffet table was filled with sausage, pasta with hamburger, ham and cheesy potatoes. Fortunately the pototoes were meat free, so I spooned some on to my plate and made a small salad out of the condiments. We managed a quick, "Hello" to the bride and groom. We were home by 7:30p.
I was so exhausted, after the reception, that I feel asleep next Greg while he watched the Packer game. The noise didn't even bother me.
Sunday, was nice and sunny. I woke up late and made a rice, brie and tomato omelet for Cynthia and myself. Just as I started preparing for my run Greg called to say he had made a mistake, the open house was from 11a to 2p, not 2p to 4p. It was 11:37 and we had to drive to Detroit. I went for the run anyway and we made just in time for the last hospital tour. (This was an open house for Greg's project for a hospital in Commerce township.)
Since we missed the food, we stopped at a place called Fibber McGee's for lunch. Although the waitress assured me there was absolutely no meat in the clam chowder, I was suffering horrible stomach cramps halfway home. I made it to the bathroom with no time to spare. I spent an hour in there in pain and the rest of the day sleeping.
Another weekend over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home