twisted-yarns

"a rose is a rose is a rose" check out some yarn for a change - its never the same.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Showering at the AA "Y"

Ann Arbor, Michigan has a beautiful new YMCA. It has two pools, one maintained above 90 degrees specifically for children and a lap pool, an indoor track, amazing cardio machines, top-of-the-line weight machines, saunas, classes and so on. Along with these amenities they have done all they could to accommodate people with a wide variety of locker rooms. There are five: a family locker room, one specifically for girls (females under the age of 17 and their female parent or guardian), one for boys (males under the age of 17 and their male parent or guardian), a locker room for adult men only and one for adult women only. That said, I must say I haven't been in the women's locker room once when there were no children in the room.
One might think... what's the big deal with a child or two? My opinion: Adults taking the time to go to the YMCA or any other gym are going to relax, workout... de-stress. One child in a room completely changes the room’s chemistry. The noise, even if they are cute and endearing, is a distraction from ones relaxation/alone time/ meditation and so forth, and children do not respect an individual's solitude. Example: Saturday morning, I was just finishing up a nice 1 1/2 hour workout followed by a sauna. Headed for the showers I took off my towel and laid out my brush, lotion and shampoo and reached in a shower to start the water warming. As I reached past the shower curtain, I felt a small, soft finger tap me on the ass. "Hey lady, you have a bandage on your butt", came from one of two young boys whose mother saw fit to bring them into the women's locker room. The mother seemed a bit upset that her children were witness to a naked adult female. (She had taken every effort to make sure she would be completely covered by leaving on her swimsuit and putting her street clothes over it.)
What the heck!!! Why the Hell would this woman think she has the right to bring male children into an adult women’s locker room? Apparently, she and many other women feel their rights as mother supercede any rights other women may have or that because we are women we should understand. I have just about had it but am not sure how to proceed. Do I run to the help desk every time there is a woman in the locker room with a child or children? Do I put up with it? Do I ask for my money back and work out at home? Suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home