twisted-yarns

"a rose is a rose is a rose" check out some yarn for a change - its never the same.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

H&B Party: Part 2

Twelve years ago, when Greg first started at Hobbs and Black, the office Halloween party was geared toward adults. The girls were very young and we looked forward to a non-serious evening out with adults. The building is perfect for throwing parties and decorates beautifully. That first Halloween, he was a mad scientist and I wore a "Second Generation" StarTrek uniform. We danced, had a few drinks, socialized and my pumpkin carving of the "Coliseum in Ruins" won a gift certificate for $75.00. The party has evolved to a family party over his 12 years with the firm. It is different but still fun and we have made it a family tradition. This is the first year in ten Porscha and Cynthia haven’t been unable to attend. It was a bit melancholy for us - which is reflected in the many photos I took of adorable children clad for the occasion. It is a time to look back and reflect on what we have had and contemplate what is to come for us as a couple.

Yes, "empty nesting" is a change - a dramatic, scary, depressing change. New things are coming my way but it doesn't make up for all that I have lost. I am trying to go out and do some of the things we did with the girls when they were at home. We didn't make the orchestra concert, it was just too much for me but the Halloween party was a success. Even in my enjoyment of the present I feel a huge emptiness and my heart reaches out for something no longer here. Like a death it follows me everywhere and I hope that, like a death, it will ease in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home