twisted-yarns

"a rose is a rose is a rose" check out some yarn for a change - its never the same.

Sunday, March 01, 2009

work, work, work




The last two weeks have been a challenge. Each day, I get up check my list of things needing to be done that day and start drawing, shopping, organizing, going to meetings and end the day with drawing. I am designing costumes for two shows (Bleeding Red and Panache) and doing a set design for another (Guys & Dolls). It's a great deal of work, very little sleep and stressful but I am enjoying it very much. Last night, I worked an all-nighter not going to bed until I had completed my rendering for Guys and Dolls.
It was 7a when I sent my final product to the director and executive director. Fortunately, they both love the design. I started with the set layout they had used for Evita and, since there is very little time to build, money to build with and the director loves Evita's layout, I stripped the old set and refurbished it. I added archways, doors, a cutout of the 1940's NYC skyline, etc.
Before the rendering was finished, a black and white line drawing was sent to the director & executive director. It's very difficult to illustrate my ideas with only this type of drawing but it is a good start to communicate the physical structure and see if it meets the director's blocking needs. Once this is approved, I color and add details to flesh out the design. Tomorrow, I meet with the technical director to talk about what needs to be done and all the intricacies of the set.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home